- Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN HABITAT: Brussels (17 Feb.).
- Arup Banerji, World Bank’s Global Director for Social protection and Labour: Brussels (17 Feb.).
- Suliman Baldo, UN Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Mali: Mali (17-26 Feb.).
- Rita Izsák, UN Independent Expert on minority issues: Nigeria (17-28 Feb.).
- Valerie Amos, UN USG for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator: Central African Republic (18-20 Feb.).
- Laura Thompson , IOM Deputy Director General: Brussels (19-20 Feb.)
- Rebecca Grynspan, UNDP Associate Administrator: Brussels (19-20 Feb.).
- Günther Oettinger: EU Commissioner for Energy: Georgia (19-21 Feb.).
- Gilbert Houngbo, ILO Deputy Director General: Leuven (20 Feb.).
- Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council: Mali (19-20 Feb), Niger (20 Feb), Benin (20-21 Feb.).
- Dimitry Titov, UN ASG for Rule of Law and Security Institutions: Brussels (20-21 Feb.).
- Olivier de Schutter, UN Rapporteur on the Rights to Food: Wageningen (21-22 Feb.).
- Helen Clark UNDP Administrator: Helsinki (28 Feb.)
Monday, 17 February
Brussels: - Agriculture and Fisheries EU Council.
- Eurogroup meeting
- EU Commissioner Andris Piebalgs signs the contract for the transfer of the € 12 million to OPCW (Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons) for the destruction of the Syrian chemical stockpiles.
- EU Commission Vice-President Maroš Šefčovič receives organisers of the first successful European Citizens' Initiative, Right2Water, for a formal meeting with all Commission services concerned by the initiative. The meeting, a legal right under the ECI legislation, provides successful organisers with an opportunity to explain their ideas and demands in more depth to the relevant Commission departments. It will be followed in the afternoon by a public hearing, jointly organised by the European Parliament and Commission on the Parliament's premises. http://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/public/welcome?lg=en
- Twin Lecture: “International Development Agencies: Reaching the MDG's and looking towards the Post-2015 agenda” 18:00 – 19:30, organized by VVN Youth. https://www.facebook.com/events/637920322941118.
- European Commission: CiTIEs: Cities of Tomorrow: Investing in Europe (till 18 Feb.) http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/conferences/urban2014/agenda_en.cfm
- European Strategy and Analysis System (ESPAS) Conference 2014
- International Cooperation Forum (till 18 Feb.)
Geneva: -The Commission of Inquiry on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea will launch its report on the Human Rights in the country.
Tuesday, 18 February
Brussels: - Economic and Financial Affairs EU Council.
- European Parliament: - Parliamentary Forum on “EU Parliaments in global Governance”.
New York: Security Council- Briefing and Consultations on the situation in the Central African Republic.General Assembly: Thematic Debate - Water, sanitation and sustainable energy (till 19 Feb.).http://www.un.org/en/ga/president/68/settingthestage/1wsse.shtml Vienna: - Iran Nuclear Talks (till 20 Feb.). Catherine Ashton leads the Talks.
Brussels: -European Parliament: - Conference: Peacebuilding in the South Caucasus.
- Drama "Speak truth to Power - Voices from beyond the dark" , Paul-Henri Spaak building, Yehudi Menuhin space (PHS, 1st floor).
- Crans Montana Forum : High Level Conference on “Diaspora and Development”, with Laura Thompson , Deputy Director General of IOM.
- 10 Years of Strategic Partnership UNDP-EU, presentation of a report and discussion with Rebeca Grynspan, UN Under-Secretary-General And UNDP Associate Administrator, and Fernando Frutuoso De Melo, European Commission, Director General DG DEVCO/ EUROPEAID.
- Conference "My destination is Unknown. Children on the move: will the EU deliver on its commitments" at the European Parliament (Brussels)
-Ministerial Conference of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) on Industrial Cooperation.
Frankfurt: ECB Governing Council Meeting
New York: Security Council - Open Debate on the promotion and strengthening of the rule of law in the maintenance of international peace and security.
Rome: IFAD annual meeting “Investing in smallholder family farmers for the future we want” (till 20 February)
Thursday, 20 February
World Day of Social Justice http://www.un.org/en/events/socialjusticeday/
Athens: Informal meeting of EU ministers for Defence (till 21 Feb).
Brussels: - Competitiveness EU Council (till 21 Feb.).
- Round Table “Promoting Women’s Rights and Gender Equality in the Middle East and North Africa”, . http://www.solidar.org/spip.php?page=agenda&id_evenement=51.
Leuven: High-Level Public Lecture "Key Challenges for Global Protection of Labour Rights" by Gilbert Houngbo, ILO Deputy Director-General, organized by the Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, ILO and the UN Association Flanders Belgium https://unric.org/en/events/29012-invitation-public-lecture-by-gilbert-houngbo-at-leuven-university.
Lisbon: The first edition of the National Forum of Civil Society Networks will take place at ISCTE - Lisbon University Institute and is themed " The challenges of the Portuguese civil society given the current economic and social context and future post -2015 sustainable development agenda " with participation of , Catarina Albuquerque , the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Water and Sanitation and Jan Jarab , representative of the UN High Commissioner for Human rights in Western Europe.Regristration : http://forumredesdasociedadecivil.wordpress.com/inscricoes/ .
New York: Security CouncilConsultations on 1718 and 2127 Committees.
Friday, 21 February
International Mother Language Day [UNESCO]
Sydney: -G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors meeting (till 23 Feb.). https://www.g20.org/
Wageningen: Food Otherwise Conference: “Towards fair and sustainable food and agriculture systems”, with Olivier de Schutter, UN Rapporteur on the Right to Food & Vandana Shiva, Indian scientist and activist (till 22 Feb.).
Saturday, 22 February
Ioannina (Greece): Presentation of the book “The hidden coffer of Ali Pasha” by Mary Savvas –Roubatis, a book about the local history and the friendship between three young friends. An event organised by the City of Ioannina under the aegis of UNRIC on the occasion of the International Mother Language Day (21 February 2014)
And beyond: Other dates to pin
Monday, 24 February
Launch of the International Year of Small Island Developing States http://www.sids2014.org/
Brussels: Education, Youth, Culture and Sport EU Council.
London: - EBRD high-level regional forum: “Investing in the Western Balkans” http://www.ebrd.com/pages/news/events/western-balkans-regional-forum.shtml
New York: Security Council-Briefing OSCE.
Strasbourg: European Parliament plenary session (till 27 Feb.).
Ioannina (Greece): UNRIC Communication Officer for Greece, will hold a series of Informative meetings with 300 students of the Zosimaia Educational Academy of Ioannina. (UN4U) (till 27 Feb.)
Tuesday, 25 February
Brussels: Conference "Climate Change - What the most recent IPCC Report says" by Professor Jean Pascal van Ypersele, Vice-chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC); organized by Egmont Institute and APNU, with support of UNRIC. http://www.unric.org/en/events/28977-climate-change-what-the-most-recent-ipcc-report-says
New York: Security Council Briefing and Consultations on the Middle East.
Rabat: International Conference on Food Price Volatility: Causes and Challenges; http://www.imf.org/external/np/seminars/eng/2014/food/index.htm
Wednesday, 26 February
New York: Security Council Briefing and Consultations on Guinea-Bissau.
Thursday, 27 February
- Friends of Europe policy insight debate “ASEAN connectivity: A role for Europe?” http://www.friendsofeurope.org/Contentnavigation/Events/Eventsoverview/tabid/1187/EventType/EventView/EventId/1257/ASEANconnectivityAroleforEurope.aspx
New York: Security Council - Private meeting - Implementation of the Note S/2010/507.
Rabat: - IMF: International Conference on Food price Volatility: Causes and Challenges (till. 28 Feb) http://www.imf.org/external/np/seminars/eng/2013/rabat/index.htm
Friday, 28 February
Athens: - Informal Foreign Affairs EU Council.
Helsinki: World NGO Day. Venue: Scandic Marina Congress Center.Speakers include UNDP Administrator Helen Clark http://yourngoday.com/
Saturday, 1 March
Luxembourgassumes the monthly rotating Presidency of the Security Council
Zero Discrimination Day [UNAIDS] http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/campaigns/20131126zerodiscrimination/
Monday, 3 March
Brussels: - Environment EU Council.-Justice and Home Affairs EU Council (till 4 March).
Geneva: Human Rights Council (till 28 March).
New York: Third Session of Intergovernmental Committee of Experts on Sustainable Development Financing (till 7 March)
Vienna: IAEA, Board of Governors (till 7 March).
Tuesday, 4 March
Brussels: - Transport, Telecommunications and Energy EU Council.
London: Launch of the annual report of the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)
The Hague: Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, Executive Council (till 7 March).
Wednesday, 5 March
Brussels: - European Parliament: Interparliamentary Committee Meeting on “Preventing violence against women: a challenge for all”
Thursday, 6 March
Brussels: - Justice and Home Affairs EU Council (till 7 Mar.).
-Cine-Onu film screening: Light Fly, Fly High. A film by Susann Ostigaard and Beathe Hofseth, followed by Q&A. http://registration.cineonu.org/events/event/12-light-fly-fly-high
New York: General Assembly- High-level meeting for post-2015 with theme of Women, Youth and Civil Society (till 7 March)
Friday, 7 March
Athens: - 6th European Summit of Regions and Cities: "European Recovery, Local Solutions" (till 8 Mar.). http://europa.eu/newsroom/calendar/event/465085/6th-european-summit-of-regions-and-cities-european-recovery-local-solutions
Brussels: - European Economic and Social Committee Summit (till 8 Mar.).
Saturday, 8 March
International Women's Day http://www.un.org/womenwatch/feature/iwd/
Monday, 10 March
Brussels: - Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs EU Council.Geneva: Human Rights Committee (till 28 March).
New York: Commission on the Status of Women (till 21 March).
Strasbourg: - European Parliament Plenary (till 13 Mar.).
Tuesday, 11 March
Wednesday, 12 March
Geneva: International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (till 14 March).
Thursday, 13 March
Geneva: ILO, Governing Body and its committees (till 27 March).
Vienna: High level segment of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs
Friday, 14 March
Brussels: - Transport, Telecommunications and Energy EU Council
Monday 17 March
Brussels: - Foreign Affairs EU Council.
-23rd session of WorldMUN. Model United Nations organised by Harvard and MUN Society Belgium teams with support of the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (till 21 March) http://www.worldmun.org/index.php
Geneva: Committee on Enforced Disappearances (till 28 March).
Paris: OECD Integrity Week 2014 (till 21 March) http://www.oecd.org/cleangovbiz/oecd-integrity-week-2014.htm
Vienna: Commission on Narcotic Drugs (till 21 March).
Tuesday 18 March
Brussels: - General Affairs EU Council.
Wednesday 19 March
Brussels: - European Parliament: “Priorities for 2014-2019 in the field of Civil liberties, Justice and Home Affairs”
Thursday 20 March
International Day of Happiness http://www.un.org/en/events/happinessday/
Berlin: Third High-level Symposium for 2014 Development Cooperation Forum
Brussels: - European Council (till 21 Mar.).
Friday 21 March
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- World Poetry Day [UNESCO] http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/events/prizes-and-celebrations/celebrations/international-days/world-poetry-day-2013/
- World Down Syndrome Day http://www.un.org/en/events/downsyndromeday/
- International Day of Forests and the Tree
- Week of Solidarity with the Peoples Struggling against Racism and Racial Discrimination (till 27 Mar.).http://www.un.org/en/events/racialdiscriminationday/week.shtml
Saturday, 22 March
World Water Day Theme for 2014: Water and Energy http://www.unwater.org/wwd2014.html
Beijing: China Development Forum: “Further deepening China’s reform in a comprehensive way” (till 24 March).
Sunday, 23 March
World Meteorological Day [WMO] www.wmo.int/worldmetday/
Monday, 24 March
World Tuberculosis Day [WHO] http://www.stoptb.org/events/world_tb_day/
International Day for the Right to the Truth concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims http://www.un.org/en/events/righttotruthday
Brussels: - Agriculture and Fisheries EU Council (till 25 Mar.).
Sao Paulo: High Level Policy Forum on Education for Social Progress (till. 25 March) http://www.oecd.org/edu/ceri/educationandsocialprogress.htm
The Hague: Nuclear Security Summit (till 25 March)
Tuesday, 25 March
International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade http://www.un.org/en/events/slaveryremembranceday/
International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members
Brussels: Conference: “Right to Food and Food Sovereignty: 6 Years After the Crisis” Professor Olivier De Schutter (UN Rapporteur on the Right to Food),17.30 in Salle Voltaire, 15-17 Place Surlet de Chokier, 1000 Brussels, organised by APNU in collaboration with UNRIC
Wednesday 26 March
Brussels: “Your Europe, Your Say 2014” hosted by the EESC (till March 28)
Friday, 28 March
Wellington: Fourth International Summit on the Teaching Profession 2014 (till 29 March). http://www.istp2014.org/
Monday, 31 March
Abuja: ECA, Conference of African Ministers of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (till 1 Apr.).
Brussels: International Conference on Prevention of Genocides. Focusing on academic research, needs of establishing or upgrading legal frameworks, role of civil society and parliaments and Institutional responses at national, regional and international level. Aiming at developing appropriate systems of prevention of mass atrocities and genocides (till 1 April).
Geneva: -Committee on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families (till 11 Apr.).
-Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (till 11 Apr.).
Yokohama (Japan): Release of IPCC 5th Assessment Working Group II Report
Many Languages, One World - Student Essay Contest http://www.unric.org/en/competitions
Part of the UN Academic Impact's commitment to multilingual education, ELS Educational services and the United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI) have launched a global essay contest for university and college students on global citizenship and understanding
Submit an essay (2000 words or less) exploring how multilingual ability advances global citizenship and understanding. Your essay should reflect your academic, cultural, and national context.
The submission deadline is 21 February, 2014
World Water Day - Photo Contest http://www.unric.org/en/competitions
The photo contest focuses on the theme of the Water-Energy Nexus.
The World Water Day 2014 theme of Water and Energy is central to achieving a sustainable future. It also cuts to the heart of inequities, particularly for the poorest of the poor, who suffer greatly from lack of access to water, sanitation and modern forms of energy.
The submission deadline is 28 February, 2014
We are Europe. Every day http://www.unric.org/en/competitions
Share your EU story! Submit your video! At a key moment in the history of European Construction and ahead of the European elections next May, the European Commission, in partnership with the United Nations, is launching a video competition on the theme of the European project and the support of its citizens for this project.
The submission deadline is 10 March, 2014